Meteolien places its technical experience and total independence at the disposal of developers, lenders and investors seeking to understand and mitigate the risks associated with energy projects.
Whether you are a wind farm developer or operator, you need an independent expert to counter-expertise a bankable study for project financing; or to invest in a project already developed or constructed. Counter-expertise is a must step for financing or buying/selling wind energy projects that requires comprehensive assessment and expertise.
Counter-expertise and Technical Due Diligence studies are particularly applicable when evaluating the transaction price (purchase/sale) for the technical dimension of a project under development or a portfolio of operating parks. The ability to independently assess a risk is essential in these transactions.
Meteolien’s Technical Due Diligence is based on the practical experience of each of our employees. Our engineers work closely with you and maintain regular communication while evaluating your project.
Review of existing site assessment studies
For a wind farm project in its development phase, it is often necessary to review previously existing site assessment and feasibility studies. Meteolien conducts blind counter-expertise studies and examines previously existing studies produced for the client and delivers a review report in accordance to the standards of the profession: MEASNET, DAkks and IEC.
Independent counter-expertise of bankable feasibility studies
The counter-expertise or the study review report focuses on the following aspects :
- Comparison of all wind turbine coordinates, turbine types, power curves provided
- Analysis of input data such as topography, roughness and identification of surrounding obstacles (nearby parks, buildings, etc.)
- Review of site resource data (on-site measurements, meteorological models, correlation with the long-term database, wind distribution, Weibull coefficient, etc.)
- Analysis of the methodology and simulation models
- Analysis of curtailment plans and related loss calculations for birds, bats, environmental and noise constraints
- Review of energy efficiency calculations, optimization of the implementation, and selection of machines
- Complete uncertainty analysis
Meteolien reviews and evaluates reports and sites based on its own longstanding experience. By doing so, we go beyond the usual requirements of the technical guideline. Our experts are always there to help you optimize your projects.
Evaluation of existing wind farms
The evaluation of existing wind farms is based on its production data, as long as they are available for a sufficient period of time. These data are then correlated with a long-term database to estimate the average energy yield of the wind farm. Since such an analysis is directly based on energy production, most uncertainty aspects of a site assessment study are avoided.
The objective of this evaluation is to provide an estimate of the net present value of the wind farm, and to propose – if possible – ways to improve the economic performance over the long term.
The study consists mainly of an audit involving the following elements:
- Determination of the average annual yield over the long term using past production data, which is projected until the end of the theoretical life of the wind farm (SCADA cross-referenced to long-term modeling)
- Proofreading of maintenance contracts and reports of the past years, in order to establish hypotheses regarding lifespan and availability
- Proofreading of power sales contracts and evaluation of the remaining period of the contracts
- The establishment of a business plan for the wind farm
- Financial evaluation based on these foundations
- Suggestions for improvements and/or optimization of the wind farm (economic or technical improvements, revamping, repowering…)